Saturday, November 9, 2013

How does she know you love her?

You may have seen Disney's "Enchanted", and if you have, you'll be familiar with this line. Giselle sings it to Robert as they are walking through the park. The point of the song is that his lady friend will not know that he loves her unless he shows her (and tells her).

I've been praying for many months that God would show one of my daughters how much she is loved. When she was tiny, I used to call her my little shadow. She wanted to be wherever I was, helping me do whatever I was doing. And I had learned how to let her help, and delight in her presence. But over the years, as my responsibilities have increased, and as she's grown, I have pushed her away. I was convicted today, as I reminisced over her youngest days, that she will not remember those days. What she remembers is too many days when her mama has treated her more like an inconvenience than a delight. And I realized that if I want her to know that I love her, I have to SHOW her. I HAVE to change the way I'm interacting with her on a day in and day out basis. I have to let her help me in the kitchen, or sit on my lap, or any number of other things that allow her to be near me... That's how she'll know she's my little love.

Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
Colossians 3:21
 

As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.
Psalms 103:13

No comments:

Post a Comment