Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Just Enough

My Crew are pretty typical kids. They are rarely eager to do their chores (unless they are expecting something fun afterwards). And most of the time, after a few minutes I hear, "Is it clean enough..." "Have I done enough..." "Is it straight enough..."
My usual reply is that if they have to tag on "enough", the answer is probably no.

The principle I see at work in my Crew is that they want to do "just enough" to not be in trouble, or to get to do whatever fun thing they have in mind. And as I pondered this, I was convicted of my tendency to try to do "just enough". I want to read my Bible "just enough" to ease my conscience, or to feel happy and peaceful through the day. I want to pray "just enough" to cover my responsibility to my friends and family. And then I was reminded of this exquisite hymn.

"When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far to small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment