Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Comfort Food

Warm chocolate chip cookies. Fresh cinnamon rolls. Biscuits and gravy. Chicken and dumplings. Meatballs and mashed potatoes. Apple pie. This kind of food is in a group that we affectionately refer to as "comfort food". It makes tastebuds sing, bellies feel warm and satisfied, and happy chemicals course through the bloodstream.

When I am stressed, I enjoy cooking and eating. And I've been stressed a lot over the past several months. I've tipped the scale ten pounds heavier since the beginning of the school year. But over recent weeks, I've begun to feel very convicted about how I'm feeding my body. (This IS NOT a "sugar and fat and carbs are evil" rant. I believe that sugar and carbs and fat are GOOD in moderation. ) The issue of my conviction is that I have been turning to food for comfort. And it's as if the Lord has been telling me, "You say you believe that I am your Comforter, but in the moment of testing you reach for the muffin. Your actions say that the muffin is greater than Me." I'd like to argue, but the truth of it resonates in my soul. I've trusted food for comfort, but all it has done is expand my waistline.

Dear Christian, what are you running to for comfort? If it is anything other than our Good God, repent and BELIEVE that He is the God of all comfort.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves have been comforted by God. For if we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.
2 Corinthians 1:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment