Monday, August 24, 2015

Very Near

Today is a big day for our family. My oldest is attending her first day of school. First day of public school, that is, as an eighth grader. It is strange. Having had her present for the majority of the hours and days that make up her just-over-thirteen years, we are all feeling her absence. And yet I feel, in some way, that I am walking through her first day with her. I went with her to pick up her schedule. I walked through those halls with her, memorizing classroom numbers and locations. And she was shocked on Saturday to discover that I know her schedule. So, as the minutes tick by, and I work my way through another day, I'm thinking of where she is-- what subject she's being introduced to-- and I'm looking forward to the moment when I get to pick her up and hear all about her first day.

As I was thinking about how it almost feels like I'm walking through her day with her, I thought about God's nearness. It seems fairly easy, when we think about the universe which He created, to realize how BIG God is. How powerful. How awesome, kingly, too much for words. But dear Christian, do you also realize that God is NEAR to you! So. Very. Near. He is that attentive parent who walks new halls with you. He knows your schedule better than you do. And He CARES! And unlike the parent who has to wait until the end of the day to hear your joys and fears, He is actually WITH you. Every moment. Every hour. Every day.

Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
Psalms 139:16


fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:18-20

No comments:

Post a Comment