Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Happy Snowmen

I love snowmen. I got my first snowman decoration when I was ten, but in the Rocky Mountains snow and snowmen aren't much of a novelty. By late high school my family had moved twice, and in both locations snow was a rarity-- and I MISSED IT! So as a young adult I began to collect snowmen in earnest. I have figurines, sun catchers, candles, chalkboards, dishes, Christmas ornaments, jewelry, clothing, and more all featuring snowmen.

I have two different sets of snowman dishes, along with sundry pieces that don't match. Because my Crew do the dishes, and they're kids, something snowman gets broken almost every year. Invariably, whoever did the breaking is distraught, and sometimes in tears. As a young mom I was very volatile. I had not yet learned to control my temper, and I yelled a lot, especially when things got broken. But at this point, I think they are upset because they know that my snowmen make me happy. And it makes them sad when I am unhappy.

I've been trying to bring my snowmen out of hibernation for a few weeks now, and I've been thinking about what may get broken this year. And I began to wonder, how much do I know about what makes my Father happy? And does it make me sad to do what displeases Him because I love Him? Dear Christian, our Father has told us what pleases Him. He has shown us His love by sending Jesus to live and die in our place. So live to please Him!

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
Micah 6:8
 

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20
 

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment