Monday, January 27, 2014

Focus on the Goal

I've been playing Candy Crush recently. And I have noticed a detrimental tendency of mine with regards to this game... I don't read the goal! I've been stuck on a level in which the purpose is to bring all the "ingredients" down so they can fall off the screen. And it occurred to me as I was playing a few minutes ago that I've been getting distracted from the goal. You see, there is chocolate on this particular level, and the chocolate spreads. I get so busy trying to get rid of the chocolate that I completely forget the ingredients! And so I lose.

Then I started thinking about how this relates to my spiritual life. God has given us a goal. We are to spend our lives, and all the resources He entrusts to us, spreading the gospel and building up His church (That is, the people He has redeemed). But I'm so easily distracted... I can be distracted by focusing too much on my sin, rather than Christ's payment for my sin and obedience in my place. I can be distracted by good things which my heart insists on making ultimate things. I can be distracted by the humdrum, mundane of everyday life. And I end up wasting what God has entrusted to me. So I need constant reminders to focus on the goal.

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20
 

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17

No comments:

Post a Comment