Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I'm Selfish

I was struck again today at my tendency to be selfish. When someone in my life wants to change my plans (for the hour, morning, day, week, year...) my VERY FIRST thought is about how it will affect ME. Not how it may bless someone else, or how necessary it is to the well-being of another person, or even how it will please (or displease) God. It's all about me.

Yesterday, Shorty and I were having a discussion about a certain aspect of parenting, and he mentioned changing my plans. (CRINGE!!!) And my first thought was, "That will take away YEARS that I have plans for!" I recognized my selfishness for what it was almost immediately, but it was a rough day. As I was doing my devotions this morning, I was reminded that Jesus stepped into time to give me, and the rest of His people, 33 YEARS. That's many times more than the years I was unwilling to share with my children. And then I was convicted again over my selfishness. It began to seem very foolish. Like comparing a smashed finger to a broken leg. But Jesus was never selfish. And with the Spirit, I can become less so until Christ returns and makes all things right.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.
Hebrews 12:1-3
 

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment