Thursday, February 27, 2014

From a Know-It-All

When I was a kid, I always (well, almost always) knew the answers, whether it was Sunday school, public school, or the questions that my parents asked my siblings. (Hey, I'm an eldest child!) If I were a book character, I would be Hermione Granger (or Jane Austen's Emma-- or maybe some bizarre combination of the two!). Apparently I still have lots of answers, because I was taking one of those silly online quizzes the other day and when the question came up, "What's your character flaw?" My Crew (who were looking over my shoulder) all said, "know-it-all". Ouch! I thought I'd outgrown that one a little bit...

So I've been pondering that for a few days. Being a know-it-all can be a fatal flaw. One thing that tends to grow out of thinking you know most, (or all, or even many) of the answers can be arrogance, and an attitude of superiority. This is BAD. Also, and sometimes more to the know-it-all's detriment, is the tendency to not listen to wise counsel. I thought back, just over the last ten years or so, and quickly came up with half a dozen instances where I was offered wise counsel, but refused to listen. And I was reminded of the fool in Proverbs. Yep, that's me. =(

A wise son hears his father's instruction, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.
Proverbs 13:1
 

A fool despises his father's instruction, but whoever heeds reproof is prudent.
Proverbs 15:5


The good news is that I don't have to remain a fool. =)

Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: "How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge? If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you.
Proverbs 1:20-23
 

And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."
1 Corinthians 1:30-31


No comments:

Post a Comment