Friday, February 28, 2014

Shaken

It doesn't take much to shake me. Throw one hiccup into my well-laid plans. Give me one extra phone call or text. Or tweak the hormones just a bit. And I am reduced to a bucket of tears, or Grumpy Bear (our code name for when I am being unreasonably touchy). Today was kind of one of those days... In fact, it's been one of those shake-me-up kind of weeks.

As I was cooking supper, I was listening to Seeds Family Worship. I love their stuff because it is just Scripture verses set to fun, catchy music! And I heard the song "Never be Shaken" from Psalm 62. I had noticed a very interesting progression in that Psalm some time back.

To the choirmaster: according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. 
Psalms 62:1-2

The Psalmist, like me, is shakeable. Circumstances in life make me question the goodness or faithfulness or power of my God. From the trivial to the life-altering, I am shakeable. But my Rock is not.

How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
Psalms 62:3-6


Do you see the word that is absent the second go-round? Because God is my rock, and my salvation, and my fortress, and because He is not shakeable, I will not be shaken. Or as Psalm 37 puts it:

The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand.
Psalms 37:23-24


So rest in the Rock today.

No comments:

Post a Comment