Friday, May 9, 2014

All or Nothing

I was rather a stinker as a child. (Actually, I still am rather a stinker!)  We usually had some variety of dessert at supper, and I loved dessert. However, sometimes we'd get down to the last piece of my favorite (chocolate cake), and when one of my siblings said they wanted some too, I'd refuse to eat any. I wanted it ALL or NOT AT ALL!

Recently I have seen this principle at work in the lives of my family. And it makes me sad, because I know what a struggle it is to WANT to do or have something, but be unable for whatever reason. Or to NOT want to do something that must be done. Here's the problem. The "all or nothing" attitude is often an indicator of an idol. But we were created for SO MUCH MORE than sugar, or stories, or exercise, or any other good gift that brings us pleasure! We were created to have fellowship with the God of the universe! And because He made us, He deserves our ALL. ALL our hearts, ALL our souls, ALL our minds, ALL our strength, ALL our moments, ALL our money, ALL our time. Because it's not really "ours" anyway.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Deuteronomy 6:4-5
 

And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.
Matthew 22:37-38
 

The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.
Acts 17:24-25
 

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.
Colossians 1:16

No comments:

Post a Comment