Monday, February 23, 2015

Hidden Beauty

I've been reading in Exodus during my devotions the last few weeks. This is not my first trip through, and I was struck again by the overwhelming beauty of the tabernacle. So much gold and silver and jewels. The vibrant red, blue, and purple embroidery. The intricate details of the furniture in the tabernacle proper. Then I remembered that, apart from the first generation of Israelites who helped build it, only the priests saw it. The embroidered curtains of the tabernacle were covered with plain old goat skin. Great for weatherproofing, but not terribly attractive. And even the Levites, who were appointed to carry the tabernacle furniture when their camp moved, weren't allowed to come get it until it was covered up by the priests. So all that extravagant beauty was hidden from the majority of the people.

Fast forward a few thousand years, and a lot has changed. God's people are no longer bound to a geographic location or a particular bloodline. We are told in John's gospel that those who worship God will worship in spirit and truth. The good news that Christ died for sinners is being proclaimed around the globe. We have access, through Christ, into the intimate presence of God. And yet I began to wonder if I am hiding the beauty of Christ. I've been called to proclaim the beauty of the gospel. But am I, by my words and actions (or lack thereof), hiding it instead? Have I taken my proverbial lamp and stuck it under a basket?

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. 
Matthew 5:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment