Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Fickle

Last Sunday morning was chaos in my house. It seems like some level of chaos is the norm on Sunday mornings, but this time it reached a new high. Females have a strange habit of trying on several different outfits before they find the one that suits them, and we have four in the house. I had to advise on so many combinations that I lost count! Not to mention the numerous items I sifted through for myself. There were more clothes on the beds than in the closets by the time we left for church! We are just so fickle!

I was reminded of this as I thought through Psalm 106 this morning. In that Psalm, we have an abbreviated history of the Jewish nation. I was troubled as I read of God's faithfulness, and their repeated forgetfulness and rebellion. They would follow and praise God briefly, and then they would pursue something else. I felt like I was looking in a mirror. Except that they had less and knew less. I don't know when this Psalm was written, but when God delivered the Israelites from Egypt, they didn't have any written Scripture. And throughout the Old Testament they didn't have the Spirit dwelling in them. I have the entire Bible AND the Spirit. I am without excuse. But God...

Many times he delivered them, but they were rebellious in their purposes and were brought low through their iniquity. Nevertheless, he looked upon their distress, when he heard their cry. For their sake he remembered his covenant, and relented according to the abundance of his steadfast love.
Psalms 106:43-45


Before He created anything, God knew that we would sin and then be unable to keep His law. He knew we would be fickle in our following, even with the Bible and the Spirit. So Jesus came to be faithful in my place, and the place of all His people. And he paid for all my fickle unfaithfulness with His blameless life.

So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
John 10:7-11

No comments:

Post a Comment