Thursday, July 2, 2015

Summer

I love summer. I love our local library with its ever increasing summer programs. I love shimmering suffocating hot days that make you crave ice cream and popsicles and swimming pools. I love long hours of sunshine, and lazy afternoons. I even love staying up late and sleeping later. Except when I don't.

For the last few years it has been my goal to keep our summer schedule as close to our school schedule as possible. But every year, little by little, our routine shifts. I was thinking about it earlier this week and I realized that I'm trying to make summer into something else. Not that "summer" is set in stone, but there are certain activities and adjustments that naturally come with this season.

This week during my devotions, I read Exodus 3 where God introduces Himself to Moses. And when Moses asks God's name, He replies, "I am who I am." As I pondered that response, I was challenged to examine what I think about God. He has clearly revealed Himself to us in creation and through His Word, and yet I struggle with trying to make Him something He is not. I want Him to be a package with a neat little bow. Or I simply cannot believe that He is so unlike every human I know. But His statement to Moses, "I am who I am" reminds me that He is far too big for packages and bows. And He is indeed very unlike His sinful creatures. He is God.

Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
Exodus 3:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment