Monday, February 15, 2016

No rest for the weary...

I've been told by a number of older moms that our family is in its busiest season right now. Each of the Crew has their own interests and activities in which they are involved. We are working to encourage them in some of these things while working to maintain our involvement with our church and other responsibilities. All the going required for the Crew's activities means that I am at home much less than I'd prefer. It also feels like I'm always working.

I was in the middle of a draining task one evening recently, and mentally checking the list of things I still had to do that day, when the phrase "no rest for the weary" popped into my head. Following immediately on its heels was this passage:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

As I chewed on these precious verses, I felt refreshed. I feel like I'm always working, and I often feel weighed down by the responsibilities and struggles in my life and the lives of those I love. And here I am offered rest. But while I need physical rest, an even greater rest is promised. Rest for my soul. Perhaps you've heard that our hearts have a "God-shaped hole", a need that only our Creator can fill. But we strive to fill it with all kinds of other things. And we are left emptier for our striving. Through Christ, in Christ, we have peace with God-- which is rest for our souls.

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Romans 5:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment