Thursday, February 25, 2016

Running

I am a homebody. My favorite days are the ones when I can stay home and do something without feeling rushed. I prefer most of my adventure to happen between the pages of a book. And I like the pace of fewer places to go, fewer things to do, and fewer people to see. But that is not my life right now. I feel like I'm constantly running. Running to the store for that something I forgot. Running errands. Running to drop a child off here and pick another up there. Running from the washer and dryer to the couch and back again. Running. Running. Running.

And I get really weary. All I want to do is put on stretchy pants and catch up on the laundry. Or mop the floors and wash down a filthy wall. Or start a new project. Or put a dent in the pile of books my Crew have asked me to read. Or write down some of the words dancing through my head. But instead I spend a ridiculous chunk of day in the car. As I was thinking about this the other day, I realized that 1) God is at work to wear away my idols, and 2) He has the strength I need to get through these interminable days. As I thought about His strength, these  verses came to mind.

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. 
Isaiah 40:28-31 

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment