Thursday, March 31, 2016

It's my favorite!

I was talking to Mommy a while back and told her that my Crew don't like biscuits. They all began to loudly protest that they do like biscuits, "just not that often". I responded that if you complain about a food (or ask for something different) nine times out of ten, you don't actually LIKE that food. On the other hand, if you do REALLY like a food, you will choose it.

When I was a kid, our staple breakfast was eggs. I hated eggs, so anytime breakfast was not-eggs I was happy. But pancakes were my favorite. I LOVE pancakes! When we went to a restaurant, the first thing I checked was whether they served breakfast all day. I was the weird kid that chose a short stack for dinner at the Mexican restaurant!

These days, Thursday is pancake day. I've made pancakes so often that I have the basic recipe (and several variations) memorized. Since the syrup can make or break a good pancake, we have two different kinds on hand most of the time. The Crew like one variety, but I think it's gross. They feel the same way about my preferred brand. Even though pancakes are the standing plan, sometimes I don't realize I'm out of a necessary ingredient until the moment I need it. I have made a number of flying trips to the store for one item rather than making something else.

Friend, do you claim Christ? If you do, are you like my Crew who claim to like biscuits while consistently choosing something else? Do you pursue pleasure and comfort and joy and rest in any of the other good things in your life? Or do you plan to consistently taste of the goodness of God in His word? When your plans are interrupted, do you put in the extra effort to spend time with Him? Do you know what pleases Him, and do you diligently seek to do those things? Do you choose Him for pleasure above your favorite hobby? Do you choose Him for comfort above your favorite TV show or book or food? Do you choose him for joy above a chat with your best friend? Or do some or all of those gifts rank above your Creator? And are you okay with that? Friend, I beg you, taste and see that the Lord is GOOD! Taste and see that He can satisfy the deepest cravings of your heart!

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Psalm 34:8

"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."
Lamentations 3:24

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29

So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation-- if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
1 Peter 2:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment