Saturday, March 12, 2016

Dulled Sweetness

I grew up in the south in the days of frequent church potlucks. And potlucks were my FAVORITE!!! Meat and potatoes, dessert, kool-aid, and sweet tea were the staples, and I got as much as I wanted! All that sweetness felt like heaven to me. Like most kids, it didn't take me long to realize that after drinking my kool-aid, my chocolate cake didn't taste quite as sweet. Or after that bowl of pudding, the kool-aid didn't have quite the same pop.

I was thinking this morning about how easily I lose my taste for the Word. If I've been consistently having my devotions, and engaging in corporate worship, I feel like I can't get enough. But take me out of my routine for a week or two, and my interest in spiritual things begins to fade. Since this week was spring break, we've taken a very laid-back approach to life, lazing around most of the mornings, and probably staying up too late most evenings. (The time change is going to be a killer!) But in spite of my surplus of time, I've spent very little time in the Word. And far too much in various entertainment. So this morning, I found myself not really caring whether I crack open my Bible or not. Which made me think of sugar.

A relationship with God is the greatest sweetness a person can experience. But because we are corrupted by sin, we crave and pursue every other sweetness there is. I love to read stories. I love to play logic games. I love to cook. I love to eat. I love to watch movies with my Crew. And all of these can be good, sweet things. But if I do not pursue the sweetness of God's presence first, or most-- as my highest priority-- the sweetness of the good things dulls my taste for Him.

I watched a sermon by John Piper in which he says, "You have taste buds on your soul's tongue that were made to lick the lollipop of the gospel." You can see the message in it's entirety here. I struggle to pursue the sweetness of God above all else, but I need to. And so do you.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment