Thursday, July 21, 2016

You can't give what you don't have.

I love to read! I love the feel of covers and pages between my fingers. I love the flow of words on a page. I love the smell of the binding and the paper and the glue. I love stories and poems and informational articles and advertisements. I love libraries because they are overflowing with things to read! And I have done my very best to pass this love on to my children. It's not hard. I've read to them since before they were able to do anything except eat, sleep, and poop. I've taken them to the library for preschool storytime. We've tasted the unfamiliar foods we encountered in stories. We've purchased shelves upon shelves of books. It has been very natural for me to share my love of reading with my children.

Sports on the other hand, not so much. I am not athletic. I HATE to run. I was never able to do a cartwheel (despite the best efforts of dozens of adept teachers). If it requires fancy footwork, I'm probably going to injure myself. If it involves hitting a ball with a stick, I can almost guarantee you that it won't turn out well. With most sports I don't understand the basics of the game, so even watching isn't fun!

Christian, have you tasted that the Lord is good? Do you believe that Jesus is what you need above all? Do you feel your need to spend time with Him through Bible reading and prayer? Do you love Him? Because you can't give what you don't have. If you haven't tasted the goodness of the Lord, how can you share it? If you don't believe that Jesus is the thing you need most, there's no way you will convince your friend that Christ is what she needs. If you don't feel your need for Bible study and prayer and spend your time on it, what does that say to your family about the value of your Father? If you love Him, it becomes the most natural thing in the world to share Him. So, taste and see that the Lord is GOOD!

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation-- if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
1 Peter 2:2-3

I sought the LORD, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears..
Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
The young lions suffer want and hunger;
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
Psalm 34:4-10

No comments:

Post a Comment