Thursday, August 10, 2017

Change in Pace

I have been writing, but the effort to write in prose has been mostly beyond me. There is a depth and simplicity to poetry that has better suited the expression of my thoughts for the better part of two years. It's kind of funny, but I am far more reluctant to share my poetry than my prose... However, for a while I am going to be sharing some of it.

Sweet Presence

You are my shepherd.
I will never need more
than you have supplied.
You walk with me and make me rest
in peaceful and pleasant places.
You bring joys to my soul
which I could never have imagined!
You are showing me what is true and right
and giving me strength to walk in that way.
After all, a son or daughter should look like their Father.

Even when the hounds of Death
nip at my heels
and the Furies overshadow me,
I need not fear!
You are upholding me
and reigning over them!
You are at work in my circumstances
to do good to me
so that my enemies look on in wonder.
And I stand in awe of you.
I am certain that the riches of your favor
are with me wherever I am.
And one day
I will live in the the glory of your presence
for eternity.

*Inspired by Psalm 23

A Psalm of David. 
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake. 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, 
for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; 
you anoint my head with oil; 
my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me 
all the days of my life, 
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD 
forever.
Psalms 23:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment