Wednesday, October 18, 2017

High Places

High Places

I trudge up the hill
hoping for relief
the cares of this day
are too heavy
I bow before the shrine
with my incense
and raisin cakes
and I feel lighter--
for a minute

I walk into Walmart
on aching legs
it's been Monday
all day long
I grab the chocolate
scan it, bag it
swipe my card
stress melts away--
for a minute

I bow my heart
before the Lord of glory
I am weak
He is my strength.
He makes my feet sure
as the ground quakes
and my idols crumble...
I stand on the rubble.
Great is the Lord!

*Inspired by Habakkuk 3:19

GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places. To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.
Habakkuk 3:19


For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, 
for my hope is from him. 
He only is my rock and my salvation, 
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory; 

my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Psalms 62:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment