Sunday, December 30, 2012

Fun and Games???

I like to play games... and win! ;) I'm insanely competitive. I come from a family that played for blood, and a family that said they didn't... I'm that player who, when I lose, becomes a storm-- or tears-- or both. I refuse to play games that I lose repeatedly.

You may be thinking, "So what? Nobody likes to lose. Everyone enjoys a game more when they win." But I've been really pondering this, because this is a lesson that the Lord is trying to make me understand. Much of what I've played at recently, I've lost at-- repeatedly. And it's like a dragon begins to breathe fire inside my chest when I lose. As I have ruminated over the why's and wherefore's of this, I've come to the conclusion that my reaction to loss flows from my sinful pride. I want to win because I want to feel important. And so, when the inferno begins, I start to pray for less of me...

One's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.
Proverbs 29:23
 

The haughty looks of man shall be brought low, and the lofty pride of men shall be humbled, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. For the LORD of hosts has a day against all that is proud and lofty, against all that is lifted up--and it shall be brought low; against all the cedars of Lebanon, lofty and lifted up; and against all the oaks of Bashan; against all the lofty mountains, and against all the uplifted hills; against every high tower, and against every fortified wall; against all the ships of Tarshish, and against all the beautiful craft. And the haughtiness of man shall be humbled, and the lofty pride of men shall be brought low, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.
Isaiah 2:11-17
 

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
Galatians 5:19-25

No comments:

Post a Comment