Saturday, December 8, 2012

Piles

I have been discovering, over the past five years or so, that many of my idols were erected when I was rather young. Before my teens. It's funny how God then works at wearing them away, by keeping situations similar. I come from a long line of pack rats. One of the ways that manifested itself in our home, when I was growing up, was lots and LOTS of piles! I HATED the piles! And ESPECIALLY the game of "shifting piles". You know, you need a space that is occupied by one of your piles, so you "shift" it to another flat surface... I determined, before my teens, that when I grew up I would not have piles! FAMOUS LAST WORDS... ;)

The Lord has graciously provided my family with a smallish house. When Shorty & I got married, there were two rooms in our house that we essentially didn't even use. Then when we had our first baby, the whole house was suddenly in use! =) It didn't really begin to feel "tight" until our third little one started moving... But as I look back, I see that I have always had piles. I just had a bit more time and space to go through them early on. ;) Now I am constantly fighting the battle of the piles, or playing "shifting piles". =P Through this, God has revealed idols in my heart that I didn't even know were THERE! He's also given me a lot more compassion for my mom and her piles. =) God is just TOO LOVING to let our idols stand uncontested. And when God enters a battle, He ALWAYS wins-- in His PERFECT time! =)

Oh sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth! Sing to the LORD, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens. Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary. Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength! Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; bring an offering, and come into his courts! Worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness; tremble before him, all the earth!
Psalms 96:1-9


In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"
Isaiah 6:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment