Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Opposites

I love reading to my Crew! And I love that some of them are now big enough to read to me! ;) One of my favorite books to read to them when they were little was called Archibald's Opposites. In it, Archibald (a Veggie Tales character) is teaching about opposites. My Crew loved it because I read it with a British accent. =) Archibald defines opposites this way: "When things are as different as different can be, we call them opposites. Now do you see?"

I've pondered the simple opposite pairs presented in the book. I've also been thinking about opposites like love and hate, passion and indifference, good and bad... and then I started wondering if there was an "opposite" for God. So I had a meeting with my friend Webster. =)

op-po-site: diametrically different (as in nature or character) 

So I guess the answer to my question is, "yes and no". Satan and fallen humanity are both diametrically different in character to God. However, God's nature is infinitely greater than man's or Satan's! =) And that is such great news to me! That means that God is ABLE to accomplish His purposes!

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.
Psalms 86:8-12
 

"To whom will you liken me and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be alike? Those who lavish gold from the purse, and weigh out silver in the scales, hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; then they fall down and worship! They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it, they set it in its place, and it stands there; it cannot move from its place. If one cries to it, it does not answer or save him from his trouble. "Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,' calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.
Isaiah 46:5-11
 

There is none like you, O LORD; you are great, and your name is great in might. Who would not fear you, O King of the nations? For this is your due; for among all the wise ones of the nations and in all their kingdoms there is none like you.
Jeremiah 10:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment