Friday, June 21, 2013

Not Easy

I am a busy-at-home wife and mama. I LOVE my job! In fact, I cannot think of another job I'd rather have-- except maybe writing... However, this has not always been the case. There have been a couple of seasons in my life when I wished for something else. During one of those I told Shorty that just because I was created and equipped to be a mom didn't mean it was EASY. And I still believe that. I, as a woman, am anatomically equipped to grow babies from the womb through the first year (more or less) of life. One of the reason for all our hormones is also the impact of said hormones in our attachment to our children. Even the fact that we have the ability to multitask well is extremely useful and even necessary to mothering.

So why, if I am so well equipped for this job, is is not EASY??? As I struggled through this, I realized two problems. Number one is that I am a sinner. Because of my sin nature, I am selfish... and that makes service hard sometimes. (And really, what is motherhood if not service?) The other problem stems from the sin nature as well, and that is our culture. There is something of a shift, but when I was a younger mother, many people that I met and knew frowned upon my choice to stay home with my children. "Why should you waste your mind raising kids?" was a common sentiment. And the appeals of two incomes look incredibly alluring from a distance.

Now, am I saying that every wife or mom should stay home? Absolutely not!!! That is a matter of conviction for each couple. I AM saying that the work of a busy-at-home woman is a noble calling, and worthy of all the effort that you might pour into a paying job. =) And I know this can sound trite, (especially if funds are slim) but what other job pays in genuine hugs? ;)

**This concept doesn't ONLY apply to motherhood, that's just the perspective I was thinking from this morning.

"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children--
Deuteronomy 4:9
 

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Deuteronomy 6:4-7
 

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
Ephesians 6:4
 

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
 

Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
Titus 2:3-5
 

For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Galatians 6:8-10


No comments:

Post a Comment