Monday, June 3, 2013

My Brother's Keeper

I read a blog this morning from a link on Facebook. The Bikini Question. The topic (which may already be obvious) is modesty. I admire the author's wisdom as well as her courage in publishing her convictions in such a public form. There were lots of objections to her conviction about how much of her body to display, as well as her reasoning behind it. She mentioned wanting to help her brothers in Christ to guard against lust by remaining more covered.

I agree with both her conviction and her reasoning. In fact, I've now taken two of my three girls out on a "growing up" shopping trip. One of the purposes of our shopping trip is to explain to my girls about the precious gift our bodies are and how we can and should cover them carefully. And one reason that we want to cover our bodies carefully is to help our brothers in Christ to guard their eyes and their hearts against lust.

This reasoning led to quite a firestorm in the comments. The argument over and over (in different ways) was that it's "not my problem" if a guy lusts after me because of what I do/don't have on. And why is this line of reason only applied to sexual areas. I'd like to argue that it's not only a valid line of reasoning, but can be applied to any area in which we interact with others. I've been reading in Romans 14, and Paul argues that what I do DOES affect those around me.

For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.
Romans 14:15-21


So if I enjoy a glass of wine, or a beer, or a Bahama Mama with dinner, fine. But if I have a brother or sister over for dinner who has struggled with alcoholism, I don't pull out the wine. Or if I have a brother who struggles with sinful anger, I don't poke at his hot buttons. Or if I have a sister who is easily drawn into gossip, I should try to be careful how I speak in her presence. Does this mean that my behavior CAUSES them to sin? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Everyone's sin flows from our own sinful hearts. But over and over again in Scripture we are instructed to BUILD UP our brothers and sisters in Christ.

"All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up. Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.
1 Corinthians 10:23-24
 

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11
 

Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
Ephesians 4:15-16



Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Hebrews 10:23-25


No comments:

Post a Comment