Sunday, September 22, 2013

Always My Turn

One of the first lessons that we began to teach our children was that they had to take turns, whether it was playing with a certain toy, or choosing what show to watch on TV, or spending some special time close to mama or daddy. And it is a lesson that we have to review on a regular basis. But we begin to like this lesson when it comes to responsibility. My Shorty and I used to "take turns" changing the poopy diapers, and now we look at one another and say, "Isn't it your turn?" when it's been a particularly long day of shepherding... ;)

When I was in high school, my Mommy shared an especially helpful insight with me. We were discussing what we had been reading and learning in our devotions. She had been in the gospels, and had recently read these two passages:

So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
Matthew 5:23-24
 

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.
Matthew 18:15


And she said, "I just realized that it is always MY turn. Whether I have sinned against someone else, or they have sinned against me, it is my responsibility to seek reconciliation." I cannot even begin to count the number of times that that thought has come back to my mind over the past 15 years or so. It has shaped many of my interactions, and continues to inform my relationships.

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
Romans 12:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment