Monday, September 9, 2013

Anger

I am an angry person. I have a Short Fuse. And this weekend, I've felt and shown way too much anger toward my family. However, I've been reminded to guard myself against my sinful anger twice during my devotions.

First was this command from Psalms, that is echoed in Ephesians.

Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
Psalms 4:4


I'm not sure that this is even possible... I feel certain that I've never experienced true righteous anger... But as I was practicing my memory verses, this next verse hit me like a brick in the middle of my forehead!

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
Psalms 37:8


I fretted all weekend over the various responsibilities that I was trying to prepare for. I was doing my best, but my best didn't seem good enough... and I was angry-- and fretting-- and tending to evil. =(
So these earlier verses in Psalm 37 are a better place to be.

Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.
Psalms 37:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment