Saturday, September 28, 2013

Lovely Pair

I read in the Psalms this morning. I've not taken much time in the Word this week, but since it's Saturday and we have nowhere to be until late morning, I took a stroll through Psalms. =) It was very refreshing. The Psalms have a way of really highlighting how insignificant I am and how glorious God is. So Psalm 15-16.

A Psalm of David. 
O LORD, who shall sojourn in your tent? 
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?
Psalms 15:1


Asking a question is a good way to begin a sermon-- or so I've heard. =) David wants to know who can have fellowship with God. The rest of the chapter gives us an answer.

He who walks blamelessly and does what is right 
and speaks truth in his heart; 
who does not slander with his tongue 
and does no evil to his neighbor, 
nor takes up a reproach against his friend; 
in whose eyes a vile person is despised, 
but who honors those who fear the LORD; 
who swears to his own hurt and does not change; 
who does not put out his money at interest 
and does not take a bribe against the innocent. 
He who does these things shall never be moved.
Psalms 15:2-5


At first glance, I may think that I fit the bill. I have not committed the "big" sins... but God always drives at the heart. The Psalm doesn't tell us when David wrote this, but I wonder if it was late in his life. I wonder when he wrote the line "and speaks truth in his heart", if he had realized how good our hearts are at deceiving us. And I wonder if he cried when he wrote the line "does no evil to his neighbor", remembering how he sinned against his neighbor Uriah. The line about "swears to his own hurt and does not change" really convicted me. I want to be a person who keeps my word, but I am fickle and weak. So after pondering this chapter, I've come to the realization that I do no deserve fellowship with the Living God. But there is One who fulfilled the demands of this Psalm. He did "swear to his own hurt" and "not change". He went to the cross to pay for all the times that I did not meet the standard. Which is why I think that 15 and 16 are such a lovely pair.

A Miktam of David. 
Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. 
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."
Psalms 16:1-2


This has always been the prayer of the saints. Not, "See, I have kept your word. You owe me your favor." But, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" Followed by a commitment to treasure the things that please the Lord and forsake those that do not please Him.

As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.
Psalms 16:3-4


And now we've come to my niche. I love the fact that God is our greatest treasure, and that the more we treasure Him, the greater our pleasure!

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalms 16:5-11


No comments:

Post a Comment