Monday, March 3, 2014

Guard Your Heart

We introduced our Crew to the Star Wars movies over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. As I was listening, I noticed that Obi Wan is constantly warning to Anakin to "guard [his] thoughts". I was struck by how closely the words and context mirror something that I am constantly warning my Crew, namely to guard their HEARTS. I've been chewing on that phrase a lot this last couple of weeks. During my high school years, I only remember hearing that phrase with regards to romance. "Guard your heart so that you don't fall for the 'wrong' kind of guy/girl." It is as though the heart is an innocent, sweet, little bird who needs tender care. That is exactly NOT what I mean when I instruct my children (and other children in my life) to guard their hearts. Picture a hardened criminal, locked behind bars. There is no doubt from the look on his face that if he could get out, he would, without hesitation, kill you in a most painful fashion. And he would enjoy it. The kind of diligence required for that kind of guard duty is what I'm encouraging in my Crew. Because:

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
Jeremiah 17:9


But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.
Matthew 15:18-19
 

but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
James 3:8


And to be completely honest, guarding my heart is a task too daunting for me. It's too hard to fight my own heart. (So I know it is for my Crew, too.) But there is always hope when I look to the One who created me and is infinitely stronger than I am.

For your name's sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great. Who is the man who fears the LORD? Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose. His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land. The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant. My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for he will pluck my feet out of the net. Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses. Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins. Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me. Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
Psalms 25:11-20


No comments:

Post a Comment