Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Hormones

When I was a sophomore in high school, I was sitting on the couch in our living room, folding clothes-- and bawling! My brother walked in, stopped, and asked, "What's wrong with you?" I responded with classic teenage drama, "I FEEL LIKE I'M A SPECTATOR IN MY OWN BODY!!!" He promptly turned and left the room.

I'm not a teenager anymore (THANKFULLY!), but there are still days that I feel like a spectator in my own body. That particular time of the month draws near, and I fall into all kinds of discombobulation! We know that hormones impact our brains, bodies, and emotions. And it's easy to just want comfort. But my hormonal chaos is not a free pass to act however I want. Hormones are not a sufficient excuse to be rude to my husband or children (or whoever else I may encounter), or to eat whatever I want, or to just "check-out" for a few hours (or days). Whether or not I feel like it, I am still an ambassador of the King. And He has called me to share His love, ESPECIALLY when I don't feel like it. Because after all, to love is to sacrifice.

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5:1-2
 

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
1 John 3:16
 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21

No comments:

Post a Comment