Saturday, March 28, 2015

They be young?

A few years ago, we celebrated my parents' thirtieth wedding anniversary by throwing them a surprise reception. Part of the preparation included gathering photos of my parents to make a slideshow. I did the legwork because I was local, and my sister (who lived several states away) did the slideshow because she's more adept with computers. As a result, I ended up with lots of my parents' photos on my computer. One afternoon, as I was working on details, my youngest came in to talk to me. The screen saver was scrolling through the pictures on the computer and it came to one of my parents' first Christmas together. She looked at me and said, "Mama, who that?" I replied that it was her Grandmama and Abuelo. She said, "That not Grandmama and Abuelo."
"Yes it is."
"No it not."
"Yes it is. It's Grandmama and Abuelo when they were young."
"That Grandmama and Abuelo?"
"Yes, that's Grandmama and Abuelo when they were young."
"That Grandmama and Abuelo? They be young?!?"
"Yes. That's Grandmama and Abuelo when they were young."
At which point she ran through the house telling her siblings that they had to come see this picture of Grandmama and Abuelo when "they be young".

At the time I thought it was hilarious that my daughter couldn't imagine my parents being young. But a couple years ago, my grandmother came to live with my parents, and I got to read my Pawpaw's love letters to her. While I know that my grandparents were young (at some point in the distant past!), it was bizarre to read Pawpaw's words as a twenty-something because I didn't know him until several decades later. It is quite hard for me to imagine him ever being young.

And I began to ponder. I've noticed as I continue to read through Scripture that people simply cannot believe that God is so unlike us. Again and again people project humanity and sin onto God. And again and again God tells us that He is not like us. He is mighty. He is good. He is faithful. He is holy. He is love. Friend, this is where faith comes in. Even though it goes against all our experiences with weak, sinful people, we must believe that what God tells us about Himself is true. Dear Friend, hear. Believe. And live.

God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
Numbers 23:19
 

Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.
Psalms 102:25-27
 

Who is like the LORD our God, who is seated on high, who looks far down on the heavens and the earth?
Psalms 113:5-6
 

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14
 

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
Colossians 1:15-20

No comments:

Post a Comment