Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wrestling

My youngest daughter played basketball this year. She was in the youngest age group. You know, the ones who really have no idea what they're doing, but they look really cute doing it. There was a little girl on one of the other teams who was assigned to guard my daughter several quarters one game, and it was a HUGE frustration for me because this particular little girl seemed to think that "guarding" meant "grab and hold". As a result, it looked more like a wrestling match than basketball between those two girls. After the game I was still a bit frustrated, and my daughter told me, "Well, Mama, I started holding on to her too." At which point I explained to her that that is not legal in basketball. And that when her team has the ball, she should try to get away from her defender.

I've thought about that game quite a bit the last couple weeks. And it's lead me to ponder how I interact with my sin. Remembering that sin is something INSIDE me, not outside of me. It is something that I'm supposed to be working to eradicate from my life. Or, borrowing the words of a Puritan brother, to mortify it. But I'm afraid that there are times when, despite my best efforts, I end up hanging on. I end up wrestling when I should be running. Thankfully, the Spirit lives in me to call me back to running. Christ always lived faithfully in my place, and now always lives to intercede for me. And the Father loves me and is faithful to complete the work He's begun.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment