Monday, March 16, 2015

who IS

Yesterday during our church's worship service, we sang "Revelation Song".

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty
Who was and is and is to come..."

As we sang, I was reminded afresh of my need for the God who IS. I need Him in THIS moment. I need Him for THIS day.

In the opening verses of Revelation, we are introduced to God the Father as "him who is and who was and who is to come". As I've muddle and stumbled and trudged through this school year with my Crew, I've been faced with my own bankruptcy. I really have nothing to offer apart from the work of Christ in me. And while I need to remember the God who was. That is, the God who was faithful to me last week, and last month, and last year, and five years ago... The God who was loving and kind and powerful. And while I need to know that He doesn't change, that He is able to bring His plan to completion and finally restore this broken world. The God who is to come. In the midst of the heaviness of living as a sinner in a fallen world, I need the God who IS. He is faithful in this moment, for this day. He is loving in this moment, for this day. He is kind in this moment, for this day. He is powerful in this moment, for this day. He is accomplishing His purpose in me and in His church and in His world. And one glorious day His church will be perfected, finally and fully freed from sin. And this world will be fixed, no more pain or sickness or death. And He will still be the God who IS.

Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
Exodus 3:13-14

John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Revelation 1:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment