Monday, March 23, 2015

Words of Life

I love words. And stories. And books. I was telling Shorty this weekend that I devour books. Especially novels. And while all my Crew have acquired some of my taste for the written word, my oldest is especially captivated. She is well on the way to having her own collection of stories. For us, books are fun! Since she has professed faith in Christ, I've been encouraging her to begin reading the Bible for herself. I even challenged her recently to NOT read one of her novels for fun until she has read in the Bible for that day.

Shepherding her in this area has been a challenge and encouragement to me as well. While I don't have as much time to read for pleasure as I once had, when I do begin a story, I tend to get sucked in so that all my attention is focused on reaching the ending. And sometimes I neglect things that are more important. Sometimes I choose to read the next chapter of the novel rather than do my devotions. But while that offers a brief pleasure, it doesn't satisfy my soul. Kind of like a child who would rather eat dessert than meat and fruits and veggies. Food for fun or food for life? Words for fun or words of life? Dear Christian, as you spend your moments today, please fuel your soul with the words of life!

After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. So Jesus said to the Twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?" Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God."
John 6:66-69

No comments:

Post a Comment