Monday, October 7, 2013

Fixer-Upper

I love my house! It is so perfect for our family! But it is almost like starting over... We bought a REALLY fixer-upper the first time. Smallish and shrinking (or so it seemed), and in need of some SERIOUS T.L.C. (tender loving care)-- and we supplied that over the course of the 12 years we lived there. =) So now we have a significantly larger (hopefully forever) house... and it's another fixer-upper! And I've been pondering the process. Because we have to prioritize our projects... and wait! And I thought about all the emotions that go with fixer-upping, from frustration to satisfaction, and despair to delight.

As I was reminiscing over our success with the first house, I began to chew on the process of sanctification. With houses, there are varying degrees of fixer-upper. From, "needs a bit of updating" to "condemnable". This brought to mind a friend's house. When he moved out, it really looked like his furniture had been holding up the walls... =? It made me think about my life. Sin is so ingrained into my character-- and sin is ALWAYS destructive, so basically, the "house" of my life was condemnable. But God brought His tools and supplies and infinite skill, and has been busy applying some T.L.C. to my character. And although there are times when I feel frustration and despair in the process, there are also seasons of satisfaction and delight! And one day, the seasons of frustration and despair will end, and be replaced with ENDLESS delight!!! =)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10
 

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Philippians 2:12-13
 

Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment