Monday, March 24, 2014

Let It Go

We took our Crew to see Disney's "Frozen" over the Christmas holidays, and purchased the DVD as soon as it was available. The one part of the movie that I didn't like was the song "Let It Go". I can already hear the boos, but please hear me out. I'm not saying that you have to hate it, or even that you can't like it. But if you are a Christian, I'm asking you to take a critical look.

First, let me say that artistically, "Let It Go" is fantastic. It has easy to remember, well-crafted lyrics paired with a catchy melody. But since we are what we read, and watch, and hear, we need to take a closer look at the lyrics. The first stanza appears to be almost a lament over the isolation that Elsa has suffered as a result of her gift. However, by the first chorus, she has embraced it. This is a problem since we were not created to be alone. (This is probably why I like Anna's line later that "nobody wants to be alone".) And even when our sin separated us from God and one another, He didn't leave us alone. He sent Christ to reconcile us to Himself.

A similar problem arises at the end of the first chorus.

"I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway"

While some level of unconcern about how others view us can be helpful, taken to the extreme, it is damaging. Elsa says the cold never bothered HER, but what about all her subjects back in Arendelle? There is a hardness expressed throughout the remainder of the song that I found incredibly troubling. She says later, "you'll never see me cry". Tears are often construed as a sign of weakness-- and perhaps they are, but I would argue that they are rather a sign of SOFTNESS. They are a sign of feeling pain, both your own and that of others.

Lastly, in my opinion, there seems to be a correlation between the letting go of the rules in the song, ("no right, no wrong, no rules for me, I'm free") and Elsa's clothing change. When Elsa begins the song she is VERY conservatively dressed. Maybe even overdressed... But by the end, her outfit is very nearly risqué. Her change in attire coupled with the idea that rules are bad, bothered me. And it concerned me for my girls. After all, we are what we consume... so consume carefully.

"Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
Matthew 10:16
 

Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature.
1 Corinthians 14:20
 

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17

No comments:

Post a Comment