Friday, March 7, 2014

Not My Moments

I must like being busy. My friends tell me that I'm always busy. My kids tell me I'm always busy. And my Shorty says I like being busy TOO MUCH. I guess maybe when I'm busy I feel like I'm being productive-- and being productive makes me happy. =) But for me, the danger of being perpetually busy is burn-out. I go and go and go and go until everything rubs me the wrong way, and then I slump for hours or days or weeks. During my slump time, I feel like I don't do anything well (i.e. am not productive) and that makes me angry, so I swing back into overdrive.

I've been working on this. I realize that it is not a healthy pattern, so I am trying to take small, frequent breaks from the various demands of my busy life. But here's the thing that I've been chewing on, "my" moments are not my own. Paul says:

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20


Now Paul is using this temple analogy in the context of sexual immorality, but I'm going to argue from the greater to the lesser. If my body belongs to Christ, each moment I have belongs to Him as well. The question is not "Should I take down time?" I am a finite creature. I am dependent on many things, not the least of which is rest. The question is "Am I bringing glory to God by using this moment in this way?" That is a hard question. It ranks right up there with "Why?"

So, whether you eat or drink, or WHATEVER you do, do all to the glory of God. (emphasis mine)
1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment