Monday, March 17, 2014

Making a List, Checking it Twice

My life is SO FULL of lists. I make weekly menus, lesson plans, shopping lists, reading lists, chore lists for myself and my Crew, mental lists of home improvements... and the "list" goes on and on! I tackled my chore list last week, and accomplished quite a bit. But our Sunday plans changed late yesterday afternoon, and I didn't get lesson plans written. Which throws our Monday into a bit of a tizzy. As my lists (or lack thereof) loomed large this morning, I felt overwhelmed. There are simply not enough hours in the day-- even if I didn't sleep-- to check my list even once! Well, MAYBE if I didn't sleep...

And then the most wonderful realization washed over me. I was reminded that my lists do not save me. Lists are good for me, because they provide much needed structure for my days. But whether I finish today's to-do list, or switch lists, or abandon the list entirely, has no bearing WHATSOEVER on my acceptance before God! Christ is the guarantee of my salvation! So I work, but I rest that I am secure in the love of my Father.

And it was not without an oath. For those who formerly became priests were made such without an oath, but this one was made a priest with an oath by the one who said to him: "The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, 'You are a priest forever.'" This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant. The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
Hebrews 7:20-25
 

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment