Friday, August 29, 2014

Bombarded

I DO NOT love working out. In fact, I don't even really LIKE working out. But I have become convinced that I need to work out in moderation as a matter of stewardship. So, I started a workout program this summer. However, at the end of a month of the program, I was so frustrated! Even though I was getting stronger (the main goal I had at the outset), I was dissatisfied. I dreaded hitting the play button. After a couple of busy weeks off, I realized that every workout was urging me to elevate "fitness" in my life. "Eat right. Include our health drink in your diet. Working out makes you a better person." etc.

I was pondering this some more this morning. Do you realize that we are CONSTANTLY being bombarded by our culture. You are a city under siege. And the Enemy would like nothing better than for you to fall under the temptations and demands you face. There is always one more thing to worry about. One more priority to work into your schedule. One more activity in which your child(ren) need to participate. It never ends! And if the external issues were not enough, our own sinful hearts sabotage us from within!

But I LOVE the Psalms. Again and again in Psalms. God is called "my rock", "my fortress", "my stronghold". I NEED that! I need a safe place to go and hide from all that life and culture throw at me! I need solid ground to stand on so that when I get whacked, I don't get buried. I need a strong hand to hold me up when my sin drags me down! I need my Savior!

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
Psalms 18:2-3
 

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
Psalms 91:1-4
 

If the LORD had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. When I thought, "My foot slips," your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.
Psalms 94:17-19
 

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah
Psalms 62:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment