Saturday, August 30, 2014

Not Outside

I'll be teaching through The Hobbit with one of my Crew again this year, so I am rereading it. Although he is not a major character in this book, Gollum plays a significant role through the Lord of the Rings trilogy. To me, Gollum is the most distasteful character. The book talks about him being a pitiable creature, and maybe I'm just hardhearted, but I don't pity him. He is twisted and small and entirely self-centered. Now, you might argue that the Ring is what corrupted him, but I would disagree. The Ring is not what made Gollum evil, it simply distilled the evil that was already residing within him. He was selfish and greedy long before he saw the Ring and killed his friend. And later, as long as Frodo was friendly and sympathetic toward Gollum, Gollum served him. But as soon as Gollum felt misused, he began to plot revenge. You even see it in the arguments Gollum has with himself.

As I was typing this description of Gollum, I saw a picture of myself. I am small. And twisted. And far too self-centered. It is so much easier to look at my wrong behavior and blame it on my circumstances, or the other people in my life. But the Bible teaches that sin is actually who we are, manifested in what we do. It is our nature. Our biggest problem is not OUTSIDE of us. My biggest problem is that my heart is focused on me. But Christ came to save me from myself! He lived and died to draw my focus back where it belongs, loving God and loving others. And one day. One glorious day, I will finally be free of the focus on myself. Lord Jesus, come quickly!

The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
Genesis 6:5-6
 

And he said, "What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."
Mark 7:20-23
 

For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3:3-7

No comments:

Post a Comment