Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fixated

My kids crack me up. They have little interest in a certain show or toy for months at a time, but then, for a season, they are absolutely fixated. For example, back in the spring, they watched the movie "Clue" on Netflix. They also got out our Clue boardgame, and would move the characters and weapons around the gameboard as the movie progressed. They did this a couple times a day for about two weeks. Then they got bored with Clue and moved on to the next fixation.

As I was chuckling to myself about this behavior, I was reminded that I tend to be the same way. These fixations are really worship. But the idols we worship soon lose their luster. The reason for this is that we were created to be fixated... just not on created things. We were created to worship our Creator. Like my children, I am VERY good at fixating on the wrong things. Maybe it's a good thing like a new book, some fix-up on my house, a little "down time", or maybe it's something sinful that I've justified to myself. Either way, it can't satisfy. Please don't hear me saying not to do fun things. Fun is a gift from God-- but it is a GIFT given to point to the Lord. So fixate on the eternal, immortal, omnipotent King of the universe! =)

"I am the LORD; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them."
Isaiah 42:6-9
 

Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works! Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice! Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered, O offspring of Abraham, his servant, children of Jacob, his chosen ones!
Psalms 105:1-6
 

Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Hebrews 13:20-21


No comments:

Post a Comment