Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Projecting

We, as sinners, have a terrible time getting our focus off ourselves. We tend to see the actions of others through the lens of our own attitudes. We project our intentions onto others-- often incorrectly. Several years ago, Shorty and I were having a discussion-- or maybe an argument... He had started talking at me as though I was my mom-- or his... So I looked at him and said, "I am NOT my mother! I'm not yours either. But I am not my mother, so stop treating me like it!" That temporarily stopped the discussion.

I've been reading a lot in preparation for our upcoming school year. One of the books I read for the first time was the epic of Gilgamesh. In the story, the gods are much like people. They are fickle, selfish, and vindictive, but immensely powerful. If you are familiar with Greek and Roman mythology, you may have made the same observation about their gods. In fact, every other religion I know about has this in common.

Having this fresh on my mind, I was fascinated when we studied the story of Cain and Abel a few weeks ago in Sunday school. When God confronts Cain, he seems to be projecting his own sinful nature onto God. It's as though he simply cannot imagine God being good and just and holy. He had made God into his image, and therefore wasn't actually worshiping God. We do the same thing. We are still so focused on ourselves that we can't fathom who God really is. But He is gracious, and He patiently reveals Himself to us through His Word. And little, by little, by little, we begin to see and believe that He is who He says He is.

"'See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
Deuteronomy 32:39
 

I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other.
Isaiah 45:5-6
 

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours.
Psalms 86:8

No comments:

Post a Comment