Sunday, January 11, 2015

No Grandchildren

This past summer, my oldest daughter was experiencing a significant life event at the same time I was going to be gone for a weekend. I did my best to inform and encourage her, and ended by saying that if she had questions and COULDN'T reach me, she could call my mom. The look on her face was absolute horror and mortification. I've reflected on this conversation a lot since, and I realized that I would have responded the same way. This got me thinking about the difference in the parent/child relationship as compared to the grandparent/grandchild relationship. My relationship with my mommy is good, so it is completely natural for me to discuss topics of a personal nature with her. Not so much with either of my grandmothers. (Not because the relationships are bad, but because they are a bit more distant. Almost a relationship by association.)

As I have contemplated this, it occurred to me that in God's family there are no grandchildren. When a person places his or her hope in Christ for salvation, he or she becomes a CHILD of God. And with that comes all the privilege and intimacy of the relationship. As our Father, God is always able and willing, even eager, to listen to us. And although it may not feel natural to talk to Him at first, as you come to know Him more and more, it should grow easier. So I challenge you, Christian, talk to your Father today.

But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"
Galatians 4:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment