Wednesday, April 17, 2013

So Loved!!!

As I did my devotions this morning, I was overwhelmed again at how great God's love is toward His people. We were His enemies. We were indifferent to the goodness that He showers on us by letting us draw another breath and by every bit of pleasure we receive. We were opposed to the holiness that He rightly demands from us, preferring to follow our own passions. He sees my sin-- ALL of it. He knew that even after He sacrificed His Son and sent His Spirit to dwell in me, I would often remain indifferent and opposed to Him.

BUT GOD.

Others have said it before, but it is true-- those are the best two words in Scripture! To quote an amazing sister theologian, "That is the language of grace!"

How great was the sacrifice of the Godhead on my account? I can't grasp it. When I try I feel like my head turns to mush! God the Father poured out His wrath on His Son so that He could justly forgive my sin and set His affections on me! Reconciliation. Another word from the language of grace. All because of the sacrificial life and death of Jesus Christ for His people.

The following verses are familiar, but PLEASE don't skim over them because of their familiarity! Let the greatness of God's love wash over you anew as you savor His Word!

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16 


See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. 
1 John 3:1a
 

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:9-10
 

but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
 

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved-- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:4-7
 

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment