Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Stretched

Shorty started working out a little over two years ago. Since then, he has lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle. Now he loves working out-- in fact, our friends call him the personal trainer! ;) Because fitness has become something that Shorty is interested in, I've learned a bit about it too. We all know that muscles are necessary to move. And we also know that if we don't use our muscles, they will atrophy. But I had not known that you can actually build your muscles to a point where it makes it difficult to move. The term for this is "muscle-bound'. And one of the key ways to keep from being muscle-bound as you work out is to stretch.

I've been in a few situations recently where I felt like I was being stretched. In particular, I joined a conversation on facebook with some people who believe very differently than I do. I know what I believe, but to articulate that to someone with a nearly entirely different belief set is challenging! And to adorn the gospel in that circumstance, even more so! And I was reminded of muscles. The church I attend is very good at building our spiritual "muscles". We are constantly presented with sound, glorious theology. But it is in our interactions with the rest of the world that our "muscles" get stretched. I don't feel like I did a terribly good job in the facebook conversation. But I was definitely stretched... so maybe next time I'll do a little better for God's glory.

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
2 Timothy 4:1-5


but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
1 Peter 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment