Saturday, May 18, 2013

Not In A Day...

I am not a fan of unpacking... =P
Don't get me wrong, I'll be glad to be unpackED, but I don't love the process. This was my first move since Shorty and I got married, and so I lived last week on adrenaline. It led to lots of work getting done... and me reaching a point of near exhaustion. But my adrenaline rush wore off before I reached the end of my list. And Shorty told me all last week that "Rome wasn't built in a day." I replied that I didn't want to build ROME in a day, just my HOME. ;)

As I was discussing this drive to get settled with a sister this week (and the heart issues that it displayed) she reminded me that I didn't need to EARN my rest. I tend to make a "to do" list and then feel like I've earned my down time at the end of the day. This often results in sin for me one way or another. If I make my list, I feel entitled to my "rest", and if I don't make my list, I'm angry with whomever I feel is responsible (or even a contributing party!). But I had a really funny thought as I was chewing on this during my devotions yesterday morning...

God didn't even create THE WORLD in a day! Not that He couldn't have. But in His perfect plan, He didn't. And I thought, maybe ONE reason that He didn't was because in May of 2013 one of His daughters would be trying to build a home "in a day". You may think that that is very narcissistic on my part, and I certainly don't think that that is the MAIN reason. But I do KNOW that He cares FOR ME!

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.
Genesis 2:1-3
 

All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:27-30


Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful. The LORD preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
Psalms 116:5-7
 

No comments:

Post a Comment