Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Trophies or Tools


When I was in school, I received a fair few trophies for excellence in various subjects. And I proudly displayed them on shelves or my wall. But now, having been out of school for nearly 12 years, those trophies mean very little to me. In fact, most-- if not all-- of them have been thrown away. Who really cares if I was "Most Improved Beginning Woodworker", or "Spanish II Student of the Year"? However, Woodworking class gave me experience with tools that I have used A LOT over the course of our 12 years of home remodeling. And Spanish II gave me "tools" to be able to communicate with some of our customers when I worked at one of the banks in town.

I've been reading Romans 12 this week, and yesterday there was a phrase that really jumped out at me.

Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them:
Romans 12:6a


Paul talks in several of his letters about the "gifts" of God or spiritual "gifts". But I was thinking this morning about my tendency to think about my gifts and talents more as trophies. I want to "set them on a shelf" or "hang them on a wall" for other people to admire. But Paul says I should USE my gifts. When Shorty buys a saw, it's not so that it can sit on a shelf and look pretty. There is something that needs to be cut. Or when I buy a cake pan, it's not to decorate the wall (Although the Winnie-the-Pooh pan is pretty cute!). It is so that I can make a cake! Whatever talents or spiritual gifts I possess are TOOLS to be used in serving my King as He builds His kingdom.


And we all get a different set of tools! But that may be a post for another day.... =)

Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.
Romans 12:6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment