Thursday, June 19, 2014

Amazing! Outrageous!

Occasionally God grants me a glimpse of the depth of my sinful nature. In those moments I am horrified at the evil I am capable of. Most of the time, I prefer to rock along, thinking that I really am "ok". These glimpses used to depress me. I would focus for days or weeks on how wicked I am. More recently, though, I grow more in awe of the love of God in Christ toward me. As I was pondering God's love toward me, in spite of my sin, a couple of songs came to mind.

The Love of God
 (verse 3)
Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

Savor those words for a minute. The ocean, the sky, every plant and every man on the face of all the earth are not enough to express the love of God!

How Deep the Father's Love for Us

How deep the Father's love for us?
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure?

I marvel at the fact that He would love a wretch. And I marvel even more that He takes me as a wretch, but then spends years upon years to make this wretch lovely in His sight. He calls me treasure and then makes me so! Amazing love! Outrageous grace!

Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. Selah
Psalms 68:19
 

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
1 John 3:1
 

How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light.
Psalms 36:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment