Friday, June 27, 2014

I feel so small.

Yesterday I traveled by plane for the first time in nearly fifteen years. And I was reminded of how SMALL I am. At 30,000 feet, even huge buildings look like a single lego, and cars are nearly invisible. Rivers are ribbons of brown on a patchwork of green. I was in awe thinking how much POWER was required to make this world (which seems so big to us) and knowing that the Earth is just a small planet, in a small solar system among thousands... or more. And I felt small. Remembering how small I am is so good for me, because I tend to want my life to be about me. But it's not! My life is about glorifying and enjoying my Creator and King.

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Psalms 19:1
 

To the choirmaster: according to The Gittith. A Psalm of David. O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger. When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?
Psalms 8:1-4
 

As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more. But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children, to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments. The LORD has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all. Bless the LORD, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word! Bless the LORD, all his hosts, his ministers, who do his will! Bless the LORD, all his works, in all places of his dominion. Bless the LORD, O my soul!
Psalms 103:13-22

No comments:

Post a Comment