Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Listen

I love to communicate. One of my favorite things is to learn to speak different languages. (I'm only fluent in one, but I know snippets from half a dozen.) I read, I write, and I talk. A lot. With that in mind, it's probably not surprising that I don't have difficulty praying. I truly believe that God loves for me to talk to Him. I BELIEVE that He's never unable or unwilling to listen. And I believe that prayer is one of the means that He has ordained to accomplish His purpose in my life, the lives of others, and His world. It is not uncommon for me to settle in for my devotions, but get interrupted after I pray, and not get back around to reading the Bible.

Yesterday was one of those days. I sat down and prayed, but then I jumped into my day. I had every intention of getting back to my Bible... but it just didn't happen. When I walked into my bedroom for the night and saw my Bible bag on the bed, I thought of the Country song, "A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action". I don't really think I need to pray less. But I need to believe as fervently in the essentiality of listen-time in the Word as I believe it of prayer. I need to BELIEVE that God's Word is more important than my words. So maybe a little less talk... but certainly MORE LISTEN!!!

Shout for joy in the LORD, O you righteous! Praise befits the upright. Give thanks to the LORD with the lyre; make melody to him with the harp of ten strings! Sing to him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts. For the word of the LORD is upright, and all his work is done in faithfulness. He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the LORD. By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.
Psalms 33:1-9

No comments:

Post a Comment